Because so many of you have asked for it, and as an unofficial zombie expert, I’d like to share the top 10 zombie movies of all time. Movies listed here are ranked based on its entertainment value, scariness, and use of zombies.
10. 28 Weeks Later (2007) – the sequel to 28 Days Later, this movie has the best opening sequence I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately, it really slows down in the midpoint of the movie. Interesting note: this movie kickstarted Jeremy Renner’s career.
9. Dead Alive (1992) – Also known as Braindead in the US, this movie was written and directed by Peter Jackson. A zom-comedy, the biggest reason this movie made this list is because of its creative use of a lawnmower.
8. Zombieland (2009) – personally, I think this movie is overrated for what it is. But any movie with Bill Murray gets major props.
7. Day of the Dead (1985) – the 3rd movie in Romero’s “Dead” trilogy, it’s brings new ideas to his universe while still keeping it scary.
6. Dawn of the Dead (1978) – although underrated and underappreciated for its time, this movie brought zombie movies to mainstream.
5. 28 Days Later (2002) – a complete surprise and success from the Sundance Film Festival, it’s modern take and reimagining of the zombie genre was impressive given its low budget.
4. Dawn of the Dead (2004) – Zack Synder’s remake of the original was both scary and interesting – answering the questions of what a zombie baby would look like and why you should never use a chainsaw in a moving vehicle.
3. Night of the Living Dead (1990) – the remake of the original was both scarier and gorier with color and improved special effects. Completely forgotten with the passage of time, it is definitely worth the watch.
2. Shaun of the Dead (2004) – the best zom-comedy made ever, it gets funnier each time you watch it. Be sure to watch it with captions on because sometimes British accents are too hard to understand.
1. Return of the Living Dead (1985) – the scariest zombie movie ever – I still refuse to watch this movie alone in the dark. This is the quintessential zombie movie to have seen for any zombie movie fan.
- Night of the Living Dead (1968)
- Return of the Living Dead, Part 2 (1988)
- Resident Evil (2002)
Kue has a Masters in Business Administrations (MBA) from California State University, Fresno. He works as the Director of Education and Outreach for the California Department of Business Oversight in addition to being a contributing writer for news, business, and international blogs. He has also written, directed, and produced an award-winning film as well as authored several books on business, philosophy, and Asian folk lore.